Its necessary to throw away the things done related to Internet since 2005
First leg of local New Media School (Yeni Medya Okulu) was done in İzmir. Censorship and the ways to overcome censorship along with social media campaigns were discussed.
New Media School (Yeni Medya Okulu) organized by Kaos GL Association in Ankara, was held in İzmir hosted by Siyah Pembe Üçgen Association.
Freedom of Internet, censorship, bans and ways to fight with it were discussed in the activity occurred at the same time with internet censorship after the Ankara Bombing in Peace Rally. In workplace, Ali Rıza Keleş from Alternatif Bilişim Association, made a presentation.
‘’What laws can't do is being performed by the monopoly of private sector''
Here is the highlights from Ali Rıza Keleş's speech emphasizing in Internet History in Turkey, Censorship and (Skewers to evil eyes ) Project of Kem Gözlere Şiş :
'' Civil society got involved while Law no.5651 regulation dealing with perpetration through Internet was being worked on. Yet, with the help of Republican People's Party (CHP) and a coup happened overnight made amendment to happen. Because of this statute, 103.836 domain name banned for now. Also, the closure of Wordpress has the meaning of closure of the hundreds personal blog pages.''
''State has become a monopoly on Internet substructure via Turk Telecom. Other companies have to pay a lot more than Turk Telecom on substructure works. Laws fulfil Government's needs up to some extent. They are trying to obtain what laws can't do, with the help of virtual monopoly of private sector.''
''Law no.5651 has no judicial background so we don't discuss it judicially. This law is unconstitutional and there are some judgments about it but Government disregards all these lawlessnesses. Consequently, the solution must be politic. It's necessary to throw away the things done related to Internet since 2005 and start all over again.''
“What is Kem Gözlere Şiş?”
Keleş talked about the project of ''Kem Gözlere Şiş'' in order to overcome surveillance and censorship. ''Abuses on the information technologies by companies and states, we use every time in daily life and senseless practices of users endanger our security and privacy'' he said.
The aim of the project is to give a hand to users who in pursue of privacy, to give them information on protection from ''evil eyes'' and to create a expanding community about it.
For those who ask ''How can i take advantage of project?'', There are some suggestions in ''Kem Gözlere Şiş'' website:
• The main purpose of this website is to help you to increase your digital literacy knowledge and skill in order to protect your personal information and privacy.
• Try to increase your digital literacy skill by reading and practicing documents with caution.
• You will realize that you are able to defend your personal information and privacy as your knowledge and skills are developing. This condition helps you to feel more secure and full of self-reliance in digital world.
• Don't forget to share the information you learnt with the people around you as you test and verify. Security and privacy is not only a personal issue but also social.
• This website contains certain types of methods. More than those and for your personal needs, do a research and consult someone that may help you.
• Check up on the information you get around and even the ones from this website via Internet. You can consult us on the issues you have suspicion.
Translated by Görkem Celasun
- Sexuality and Gender in Utopias15 Mart 2017
- Hope and Twilight of Academy was discussed in Feminist Forum11 Mart 2017
- 6th Feminist Forum begins: Its necessary to see womens pro-peace movement11 Mart 2017
- Program of 6th Feminist Forum announced10 Mart 2017
- Intersex Anatolia meets families in Istanbul2 Mart 2017
- Utopia in the Twilight of Hope: 6th Feminist Forum27 Şubat 2017
- LGBTI activist Bulut Öncü lost their life in a traffic accident20 Şubat 2017
- Queer Theory course couldnt kick off!20 Şubat 2017
- Open Letter from the Womens Studies Students: No, we are not going!15 Şubat 2017
- Not only consultation but also empowerment!14 Şubat 2017